Meet The Team Behind Think_80_20
We take ourselves seriously 20% of the time and try not to worry about the other 80%.
If you have come this far, you may find yourself asking… what is "Think_80_20” Even further, how can anyone co-mingle the topics of Realism, Rebounds & Hoops, and Random Reality? And ultimately, why should I read this amateur publication? The answer is surprisingly simple.
“The 80/20 Rule” is nothing more than a rule of thumb which states that 80% of outcomes can be attributed to 20% of the causes for a given event. Italian economist Vilfred Pareto developed the principle in the late 19th century, also known as “The Pareto Principle,” by observing that 20% of the pea pods in his garden contained 80% of the peas; similarly he published this theory at a university in showing that approximately 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. This heuristic is broadly applied, even today, in the fields of economics, business operations, and elsewhere. We have decided to spin this theory, and reapply it to a wealth of additional topics. In the real world, one can apply this rule to most situations and experiences that may arise – especially when a level of uncertainty exists. For example, millions of people watch and read the weather each day. Weather reports are rarely correct, but somehow everyone still treats the seven day outlook like gold. Not to worry, we won’t lead you astray like the weather… but we will try to look at current events from a new perspective.
The New 3 R’s:
The 3 R's of reading, writing, and arithmetic needed a new twist for the contemporary scholar. Think_80_20 offers articles on realism, rebounds and hoops, and random reality -- the three main topic areas that you will read during the course of one day, all in one website: #3R
Expect to read our articles casually, and for personal interest and enjoyment. The website is intended to be nonpartisan, with articles short enough to rein in interest but not bore to death. Enjoy our Twitter and Facebook pages as well, and feel free to post comments on the articles or contact the authors.
Vic is one of Jersey's finest, and considers the lovely Garden State to be home. His aspirations to become a social media maven far exceeds that of your average person. He decided to become a regular contributor to this site, in order to relay his online expertise to the masses. Vic enjoys bicycle and motorcycle riding, eating strictly vegetarian, and being a loner. While appearing to be a rough man's man, he is actually a kind, soft-hearted soul who loves babysitting.
Matthew is an avid ‘thinker’ who upholds the strongest values of realism in a modern sense. After recently completing his graduate degree in economics, Matthew found great value in applying the 80-20 rule to a spade of daily events. He wanted to take part in authoring an amateur publication, through the unbiased lens of a realist, and purvey the truth behind what we perceive to be social norms. Matthew is an elitist New Yorker, and in his spare time he enjoys traveling, understanding historical and current events, partaking in awkward social encounters, and stuffing himself with pizza. He ascertains 80% of his Blog posts will be of 20% value. Readers beware.
Alexis is a DC veteran by way of Pittsburgh. She is a neorealist, and also appreciates research from the constructivists. Alexis loves current events, observing societal norms, and questioning general assumptions about politics and people. Most importantly, she really loves sushi, coffee, and cheezy quotes. When not writing or over-thinking, you can find Alexis jogging through the city or searching for her next travel destination. Follow Alexis on Twitter at @LexLavi